Friday, March 5, 2010

Sketch Chronology - original oil pastel sketches by Connie Chadwell

This quick, casual little 7 x 5" portrait is the end result of the following sketches.  First came the pen sketch that I did last summer at the rodeo.  The girl in the drawing was interesting to me because of her posture, I think.  She was slumped in her chair so much that her chest area was almost concave.  She was nice to hold still for me while I drew her.  I made notes on the sketch that I didn't incorporate into the portrait.  For instance, I didn't think the sprigged fabric or the lace edging on the neck of the dress would work in such a small space, so I ignored those two things.  
The following photos show the progress of the portrait.  Beginning with the ink drawing, then the oil pastel line drawing - and on to more refinements.  (The early sketches were taken next to a bright window, but the one at the top of the posting, the final one, was taken in a darker room, so, of course, it's a little darker than the others).
I know there are all kinds of blenders that oil pastel artists use to smudge, blend, etc., but I just use my fingers.  I once had an instructor comment that it's important to know which direction to move your fingers, or other blending instrument, when blending your pastels and I think that's so true.
This drawing is on Pastelbord.
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely work in progess, Connie. I really love the loose, fresh application of colour. Lori Z

Peggy Feltmate said...

Really interesting to see how this came together, from beginning sketch to end result. I use smudgers but I think fingers might work better! Except for very fine work.

Stephen said...

I like your good work. Awesome painting. I really like pastel arts very much.

Stephen said...

Excellent oil Pastel work. I am quite impressed with your work.

Guest Artist at The Oil Pastel Review, Bethany Gladkowski

I'm really delighted that Bethany Gladkowski is the Guest Artist here at the Oil Pastel Review!   Here are some examples of her oil past...