Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Opinion on Drying of Oil Pastels (for what it's worth)


I posted this oil pastel painting on my Hackberry Street Studio blog on June 11th - I finished it that day, even though I had begun it some time before.  Much much more oil pastel was added that day.  Here it is, the 16th of June, and it is DRY!  I'm not saying you couldn't take a sharp object and draw it across the painting and make a mark, but, of course, one could do that with an oil, watercolor or certainly, a soft pastel, as well.  I mean it is completely dry to touch.  I only wish I could let you put your finger to it, but in this, you'll just have to trust me. 
The reason it's dry is because it's on Pastelbord.  Maybe this happens with homemade gritty surfaces, too, but Pastelbord is just so much easier to do.  Once upon a time, I tried making my own boards with pumice and gesso, but it was too much trouble; enter Pastelbord.
(Hope you can see how thick the surface is in these close-ups.)
Not to say I don't adore other surfaces, such as Colourfix and Stonehenge papers, as well as Bristol boards, but Pastelbord is a dream to work with.  So if you haven't tried it yet with oil pastel, give it a try!

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Thanks Connie! this is great to know! I am a beginner and just discovering the different surfaces. I haven't tried Pastelbord yet, but I certainly will now!

Melanie Rawlings said...

Connie I love the blue in the peice, it bring everything out in the background. Very rich in texture.

Peggy said...

How about a post on how you frame your oil pastel works?

Guest Artist at The Oil Pastel Review, Bethany Gladkowski

I'm really delighted that Bethany Gladkowski is the Guest Artist here at the Oil Pastel Review!   Here are some examples of her oil past...