Saturday, June 4, 2011

On My Easel - original oil pastel portrait in progress

This is another portrait that started as a drawing from life, but now the model has left, so I'm going to rely on the photo I took of her.  The support is light green Mi-Teintes board.  The board only has a rough side, which I love - am I alone in loving the rough side? - and is easy peasy to frame.  Maybe I'll post the finished product in a few days - or maybe I'll end up not liking it at all - and third option, I might just leave it the way it is.  Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

5 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Connie,
Very charming work! I look forward to next.
Only a few oil pastel colours I use as masking in watercolour. But your blog shows me how to make it. I'll challenge portraits with oil pastels next. Thank you.
Cheers, Sadami

Connie said...

Hi Sadami - thank you for your nice comment. Your watercolor work is so lovely, I know your work in oil pastel will be wonderful, too!

April said...

What a unique blog! I rarely see any figurative/portrait work in oil pastels and yours is excellent! Ironically I just pulled out my old oil pastels to take to a figure drawing session next week...your paintings (drawings?) show me what beautiful work can be done with this medium!

AprilW

Connie said...

Hi April - thank you so much for your nice comment! And I'm thrilled that you're going to do figurative work with oil pastels - they are so wonderful for portraits and figures.

Merry said...

Hello Connie,

I'm a Texan, too, and have started working with the figure and oil pastels less than a year ago. Love it.

I really like the way you handle the color and the marks ... beautiful.

Guest Artist at The Oil Pastel Review, Bethany Gladkowski

I'm really delighted that Bethany Gladkowski is the Guest Artist here at the Oil Pastel Review!   Here are some examples of her oil past...