Friday, November 16, 2012

Report on Arches Oil Paper

close-up, but my photography leaves a lot to be desired.
 
Ages ago, I mentioned that I'd bought some Arches oil paper, which I love, love, love, but I didn't know how it would work with oil pastels.  Well, I decided to give it an acid test - actually - and use oil sticks.  Not oil pastels, but oil sticks.  If it works with those critters, it will definitely work with oil pastels.  Wonderful! is my assessment.  This paper has a great feel and NO oil seeps through or halos.  Nada. 
BTW the drawing above may or may not get finished, but it's a singer and piano player.  Anyway, if you haven't already, dash out and get some of this paper, or order online.  It's really great!  Thanks so much for stopping by!

3 comments:

Lucy Chen said...

Hi Connie, I'm going to buy some Sennelier oil pastel. They make special paper for it, too. But apart from their special paper for oil pastel, what are some other papers do you recommend? Any cheaper alternatives? I'm just starting out with this medium. Thanks a lot.

Connie said...

Hi Lucy - I've been thinking about this. Strathmore makes a pastel paper that's in a pad. It's sold as Pastel paper and it's number 403. It originally was for oil pastel and it's still wonderful and cheaper than some of the others. It supposedly is a barrier paper, so although it's not really heavy, it works great. Also, Art Spectrum Colourfix is great, I love Stonehenge paper, anything that's a heavier weight. I've used Bristol board, too, and been pleased. Even if the oil comes through, I was told that it didn't really matter because it's not like the oil in actual oil paint. I've seen artists use thinner paper and then mount it on a stiffer backing for interesting results. There are lots of options! Let me know how you're liking your oil pastels - I look forward to hearing from you!.

Lucy Chen said...

Em... I've bought the book "Oil Pastel for the Serious Beginner" by John Elliot. But I have not purchased the oil pastel themselves yet. Instead, I've bought some oil paints and started my first oil painting, Connie. So the oil pastel would have to wait. haha... I still want to get them though. I think they would be good for making quicker studies? Is that right? But it's one more medium that I'd have to learn.

Guest Artist at The Oil Pastel Review, Bethany Gladkowski

I'm really delighted that Bethany Gladkowski is the Guest Artist here at the Oil Pastel Review!   Here are some examples of her oil past...