Tuesday, December 4, 2012

On My Easel, A Little Game of Checkers - original oil stick drawing in progress

I'm painting this with R and F pigment sticks from a charcoal drawing that I did from life of two young girls playing checkers.  The oil stick set was one that I bought from Daniel Smith during a half-price sale.   It's a set of five values from white to black.  Maybe when it's finished, I'll float some oil paint over - probably thinned oil sticks - to give it color.  But I may not, because I do love black and white, so I'll just have to see what I think when I'm through with the drawing.  The challenge with the oil sticks is to get some detail when using such blunt drawing implements.  I suppose I could sharpen them a little, but they are so soft and luscious that it might not work too well and besides, a challenge keeps one on ones toes.  The paper is Arches oil paper.  I bought a big sheet and tore it in half.  Thanks for visiting my blog!

5 comments:

Lucy Chen said...

I do like the loose and broad strokes look of the oil sticks. There's so much expressed in the form and etc. and less details also means leaving more room for the viewer's imagination.

Last Cup Of Coffee said...

looks like a great start! can't wait to see more!

Connie said...

Hi Lucy - I've worked a little more on this and think you're right. I probably should leave more to the imagination - maybe I should stop pretty soon so I don't kill it. I'm really good at killing paintings. Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

Connie said...

Hi Myra - I'll probably show it again after I've made more progress - that is, unless it's a complete failure. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Lucy Chen said...

Isn't oil pastels good for preventing one from getting too much into details? I don't know. I just guess so?

adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.