Friday, October 18, 2013

On the Forgivingness of Oil Pastels plus a WIP


Here's a 7 x 5" - on cold press watercolor paper - beginning of an oil pastel.  I just LOVE the blue oil pastels available and am in the mood to paint blue dresses with little patterns in the dress fabric.  It's not finished by a long shot, but maybe tomorrow I'll get to it.
I hear a lot about oil pastel not being forgiving, or not allowing you to correct your mistakes.  Not true.  Well, mostly not true.  If you wanted to keep the support white, or whatever the background color is, and you put, say, a black line through it, that could be a problem.  I've done similar things and have usually found a way out.  But my work is fraught with mistakes that I've managed to cover up.  Just scrape or wipe the mistake away as much as possible and lay the color you want on top of it.  Most times, though, I don't even do any wiping or scraping.   You might want to let it dry a little before you do any layering.  Of course, it can get ridiculous if one has layer after layer on the support.  (Which I admit I sometimes do.) 
I guess I'm saying this because there shouldn't be anything scary about using oil pastels - just take the plunge - they are so wonderful!  One thing, though, I use mostly Senneliers and they are great for layering because they can cover anything.  But I have also layered with the less gooey ones and they worked fine - just need a bit more wiping/scraping.   Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Last Cup Of Coffee said...

this is coming along beautifully - I would def. heed your advice!

Connie said...

Thanks for visiting and for your nice comment, Myra!

Isabela Pimentel said...

One of my favorites. I think u need make a post show your pastels hahaha ando teachin!!! Youre amazing

adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.