Sunday, January 26, 2014

Fixing Her Shoe II - original oil pastel figurative painting

You probably know by now that I really like Judson's Guerilla Carton paper, but I just felt that it didn't take my Sennelier oil pastels as well as I would like.  I mean, they looked really, really good, but they seemed too gooey for too long.  There were recommendations to gesso the carton, but I love the color and how it reacts with the drawing.  Sooo - I covered the carton with clear gesso.  The result?  Perfect!  Absolutely perfect!  There is more tooth while retaining all its good qualities - an absolute dream to work with!  This piece is about 11 x 8".  Thanks so much for stopping by!

6 comments:

myra anderson said...

this is really beautiful!

Paintings by Patricia said...

Great figure painting as always. Connie. I have not heard of this paper, may have to try it, It actually recommends a coat of clear gesso, which I use from time to time.

thegreatzambini.com said...

This ended with a great result. I have to say, I can't really draw people at all, (I apparently have facial blindness or something) so it always makes me happy to see someone showing the world that pastels can be used for portraits and are not a childish medium!

Connie said...

Thank you, Myra - I appreciate your comment!

Connie said...

I hope you try the paper, Patricia, and the clear gesso for it, also - really works great, I think.

Connie said...

Thank you for stopping by Zambini - I really appreciate your comment about my work and about oil pastels!

Guest Artist at The Oil Pastel Review, Bethany Gladkowski

I'm really delighted that Bethany Gladkowski is the Guest Artist here at the Oil Pastel Review!   Here are some examples of her oil past...